Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Skeptical Husband's 21-Day Meditation Review


As far as challenges from The Herbal Remedy Wife go, this one was a piece of cake. I didn’t get injected with anything. I didn’t have to eat anything nasty.  I didn’t have to drink any mysterious concoction.  For three weeks I just had to put on my headphones and listen to my iPad for a 15-minute mediation each day.
Most of the meditations followed the same basic format: a short introduction, a couple of minutes of talking and ten minutes of calming music. Each meditation had a different topic, a few even offered some thoughtful nuggets of information to ponder, and a couple went off the metaphysical rails a bit.
For instance, during one meditation I was told to think about a part of my body that had pain. That’s easy - I have plantar fasciitis and my heel friggin hurts like a gunshot wound. Then the meditation guide told me to breathe into that part of my body. What?  How in the hell am I suppose to breathe into my heel? That’s crazy talk!  And then there was the laughing meditation.  That’s right, 15 minutes of random people laughing, which was equal parts odd and annoying.
I didn’t really mind the more typical mediations, like the one where you had to repeat the same two-word mantra over and over for 15 minutes, but my throat got a bit parched after that one. I probably fell asleep during half of the mediations, an unexpected bonus, so I can’t say exactly what happened at the end. 
Overall, the meditations were very calming. Now, I’m not running off anytime soon to hug that Amma lady (Google her if you don’t know what I’m talking about), but on a stressful day if I had 15 minutes to spare I’d consider listening to a mediation to help me relax.  Luckily for me, they are all available for purchase: a perfect symbiosis of capitalism and Eastern Philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment