Sunday, March 4, 2012

THE GREAT DEODORANT DEBATE


The husband and I had a very intense conversation about deodorant last night. I asked him if he will try a natural alternative to the Gillette deodorant that he has been using for years.  He responded emphatically, “Hell, no!”
The Skeptical Husband’s firm reluctance to natural products isn’t uncommon, and I think I know why.
There is a big misconception that natural products won’t be as effective as their conventional counterparts.  I’m not sure where that comes from, but this is big reason people shy away from natural products.
I understand that people can be very attached to their favorite body care products. I’ve even seen people on Pinterest who posted boards titled “This is Me,” and they have photos of their favorite shampoo.  Wow, they must really love their shampoo. 
But I truly believe that a lot of natural products are just as good as their more toxic alternatives.  And I really do mean more toxic.
Are there poisons in your products? Yep, there is a good chance there are – especially if you live in America. The European Union has banned 1,136 ingredients from body care products because they have been deemed unsafe. Check out this website for a complete list: EU banned list


In the U.S. the FDA has banned eight. That’s right, eight! See the FDA banned listSo Americans are exposed to 1,128 ingredients that are forbidden in Europe. If possible, I’d like to try to avoid those 1,128 ingredients. 
I’ve read that the skin absorbs 60% of skin care products, and there is concern that a significant amount of cosmetic ingredients, including carcinogenic substances, penetrate the skin and end up in the blood stream and slowly poison the body through repeated use.

One thing I am really concerned with in particular is aluminum chlorohydrate, an active ingredient conventional antiperspirants and deodorants. This is why I pressed The Skeptical Husband to try a natural alternative. 

Proponents of natural products believe that there is a connection between antiperspirants, underarm shaving and cancer. I also do not like antiperspirants because they interfere with the body’s ability to cleanse itself of toxins, and many people believe there could be a connection between aluminum in deodorants and Alzheimer’s. 
For those considering a switch to a natural deodorant, my favorite brands for cleanliness and scent are Aubrey and Weleda. But don’t just take my word for it. Check out this super informative website by the Environmental Working Group to get recommendations and ratings for the safety of hundreds of personal care products. They even have a wallet guide with ingredients to avoid that you can take with you next time you shop for personal care products.

The Skeptical Husband says…
First, show me the study that shows there is a direct link between cancer and/or Alzheimer's and deodorant. 


And second, I’m not trying a natural deodorant. I'm just not doing it!  


There is nothing "natural" about natural deodorant. What is natural is the fact that people have body odor. It is unnatural to try to cover up this odor.  But I'm good with that.


I am sure the people who share a tiny office space with me appreciate my firm position on this issue. Listen, I’ve been to enough Grateful Dead concerts to know that natural deodorants don’t work. So I am not doing it. 
I’d be willing to try natural shampoo, shaving cream moisturizer, etc., but not deodorant.  I am a smelly guy. I accept this. Without my Gillette Cool Wave Antiperspirant I’d smell really bad.  Maybe I’m ingesting toxins – but hey, I’m willing to take one for the team on this one.


Okay, deal.  After you're done with the 21-day mediation challenge, I'll have a list of natural body care products for you to try, with the exception of deodorant. Oh, and how is the meditation going? 



It's going great. I'm about halfway done.  I'll have my review ready in about 10 days. I'm becoming real familiar with some guy named David G., who is very mellow. He reminds me a lot of the Tim Robbins character in the movie High Fidelity, the guy who  Jack Black and John Cusack give a good beat down.  






6 comments:

  1. After months of trying different natural deodorants and continuing to have BO I finally decided to go with a non natural deodorant, but made sure to get one that was not a antiperspirant to avoid the aluminum. Unfortunately there are not any female non-antiperspirant deodorants, so I settled for Old Spice. I find that it works well, even though it does not have the antiperspirant/aluminum part.

    I find it interesting that all of the women's deodorants have aluminum and continue to be used even w/ the rumors that it could increase your risk of breast cancer. I know there has never been any scientific evidence to support this, but why not try to be safe? I agree that your skin (which is your bodies biggest organ) must absorb a lot of what is put on it...we do give all sorts of medications via patches after all.

    Renee, I may check out either Aubrey or Weleda on your recommendation b/c Toms and the others I have tried did not work for me. Thanks for your interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jen. It's interesting that the conventional deodorant companies have not created safer alternatives for women. I've had many customers complain about Tom's and its lack of effectiveness. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of the Kiss My Face Liquid Crystal range- it seems to actually work and best of all, no terrible chemicals and no yellow stains on your tops. I would love a natural antiperspirant as I constantly feel "damp", but am happy to find something that works and appears to be on the safe list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation! You also may want to try Aubrey's E Plus High C. It has calamine powder in it which should help with any dampness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try our vintage all natural deodorant made with Coconut Oil, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, Beeswax and Melaleuca Oil. PitStik – Changing the way you stik your pit **It WORKS!!!**
    www.etsy.com/listing/104196499/2-pit-stik-all-natural-vintage-scentable
    ~*~*~*~*~* COMING SOON *~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Our all natural milder deodorant for your junior or tween - twit-Stik!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavilin is a brand you also may want to consider. After years of using Soapwalla, I switched over to Lavilin. It's been 6 weeks and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete