Monday, May 28, 2012
TOP TEN TIPS FOR NEW VEGANS
Top Ten Tips for My
Newbie Vegan Husband
1. Cheat a Little. I know that when you put your mind to something, you go all out! However, going vegan all at once may not work for you. You may want to give yourself a cheat day once a week. If you continue to stay vegan you can space the cheat days farther apart. If you do cheat (not on me of course!), forgive yourself and don’t throw in the towel over a few poor choices.
2. Experiment. If you try a new vegan food every day you’ll be opening up all sorts of culinary adventures. Have you ever tried tempeh? Coconut ice cream? Meatless meatballs? Hazelnut milk? Veggie burgers? Nutritional Yeast? Vegan pesto? You’ll thank me later.
4. Supplement! If you decide to go vegan long term, plant-based protein powders, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin D2, vegan DHA capsules, iron, and calcium will help ensure that you don’t experience any nutritional deficiencies during your vegan journey.
7. Enjoy Accidentally Vegan Items. Believe it or not some items that you already regularly consume are vegan! Peta has a list of accidently vegan items here: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx
9. Research and Connect. Join Vegan online groups like www.vegweb.com, buy a vegan cookbook like Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat, and find vegetarian and vegan restaurants in your area through http://www.happycow.net/.
10. Celebrate Your Progress! In three weeks time, step back and reflect on the progress you’ve made. Think about what new fruits and veggies you’ve added to your diet, consider the new vegan foods and recipes that you have discovered that you love, and acknowledge any new connections you’ve made as a result of going vegan. Perhaps you’ve even lost some weight and feel more energized. Celebrate the little victories you’ve made and reward yourself accordingly.