Sunday, February 19, 2012

IT’S TIME FOR SOME MEDITATION


When I first attempted meditation I tried the “expert” version, where you sit in lotus position and repeat a mantra over and over. This was just too much for my lower back and my brain to handle. My mind would constantly bounce from thought to thought and I couldn’t stay focused.
So I switched from the “expert” version of meditation to simply listening to guided meditations. Basically, I just lay down on my bed and listen to a calming spoken-word CD, which really helps me focus and relax. Yes, occasionally I fall asleep, which I have no problem with because I’m usually in need of a good nap.
I know that some people may view this as a very novice version of meditation, but it really works for me. Since meditating daily for the past year I have found that I worry less, don’t get as bent out of shape when things go wrong, and get fewer migraine headaches.
I’m not the only one who thinks mediation is good for you. Studies show that the practice of meditation:
·       Increases blood flow
·       Leads to a deep level of relaxation
·       Reduces anxiety attacks and emotional stress
·       Decreases muscle tension (including tension headaches)
·       Can have a positive effect on digestion, blood pressure, and heart disease
·       Can boost the immune system
So what’s in store for The Skeptical Husband? You guessed right, he’s going to participate in the Chopra Center’s 21-Day Meditation Challenge which starts on February 20th. The beautiful part is that he can listen to the daily guided mediations at home, work, or during his train commute.  Check back in 21 days when he’ll report on the results of this enlightening experience.
I really love this meditation challenge. I’ve participated several times and have found it to be one of the best gifts I receive each year.
If you are interested, you can do the challenge with him. All of the mediations are guided, you just need to find a quiet spot and listen.  And the best part is that’s free. Yep, you heard me FREE! To get started you simply need to register online at www.chopracentermeditation.com/bestsellers/MEDITATION_WINTER_2012/register.asp.
Good luck Skeptical Husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment