Friday, June 1, 2012

VEGAN CHEESE


Nothing makes my mouth water like the sound of these two little words… vegan cheese. Hmmm, yum. Just the thought of this dairy substitute stirs me into a frenzy. I jest of course. Vegan cheese is totally nasty, or so I thought.

Last night The Herbal Remedy Wife made me a vegan pizza, using a vegan mozzarella cheese.  I didn’t have high expectations.  It looked like cheese.  It felt like cheese.  But would it taste like cheese?

Now I should preface my review of vegan cheese by saying this - I really like mozzarella cheese. I mean, I really like it. And I am not talking about just any mozzarella cheese.  I love the real stuff – unpasteurized buffalo mozzarella, made from the milk from an Italian water buffalo.
    
Well, the vegan mozzarella didn’t taste anything like buffalo mozzarella. Not even close.  But it didn’t taste bad.  If I had to describe it in one word I’d say it was “acceptable.” 

On the vegan diet “acceptable” seems to be the benchmark to strive for. So I was pretty happy that the mozzarella cheese passed the test. 

Overall the vegan pizza, with mushrooms, olives and acceptable cheese, was decent.  I am actually looking forward to having it again, but next time I’m going to make it a bit more posh and add some capers.

Oh, one caveat – vegan cheese will make you very, very gassy. The Herbal Remedy Wife is telling me I need to take a digestive enzyme.  Right, either I could do that or I could just eat buffalo mozzarella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment